Bulb storage? - Knowledgebase Question

Question by headedoutwes
Thank you for this service !
I was given around 50 tulip bulbs after the bulbs had produced flowers, died, then removed from the ground. I cut off the rotten leaves and let the bulbs dry in the Sun. I would like to know how the tulip bulbs should be stored and when I should plant for Spring 2011 flowering? Also,.. why are some bulbs grouped into one larger bulb? Can I separate?
Thank you,

You can separate the bulbs and you can store them in a cool, dark place where there's good air circulation. I store mine in cardboard boxes filled with dry peat moss or place them in netted bags and hang them in the garage and then plant them in September or October. Or, you can separate them and plant them in your garden now. Tulips will multiply (as you have seen) if they are left in the ground for years and years. It won't hurt the bulbs to replant them right away. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"