Common lilac - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by daverack
I have a common lilac in front of my house. Since the day that we purchased and planted we have not had any lilacs. I look forward to lilacs every spring and nothing. What could be the problem.

The most common reasons for a lilac not to bloom are immaturity, too much shade, pruning at the wrong time of the year, and excessive nitrogen fertilizer. Since your plants are young, I suspect that is the problem and as they mature, you'll begin to see them develop flower buds. (It sometimes takes 7 years for a lilac to bloom!)Lilacs bloom on wood grown the previous year, so any pruning must be done in the spring immediately after the shrub blooms. Pruning in summer or fall or early spring will remove flower buds. At this point, I'd just be patient, and withhold fertilizer. Watch your plants next spring and summer. With any luck they'll flower for you. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"