bugs on flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Mesa, Ar
Question by tengle
Well I guess it would help if I knew the name of the flowers. They are pink/white flowers with a green sticky leave. They have little black bugs all over them and all the flowers a being ate off. The bugs are also on my Petunias. When i lived in CA I used the dish soap and water thing on my roses that worked. But what can I use here in blistering hot AZ? Organic would be great something I can make

0

I understand your concern with using soaps and water as pesticides. The soaps contain fatty acids which can be phytotoxic in Mesa's summer sunshine. There's not much you can make at home, but organic botanical insecticides that contain the ingredients sabadilla, pyrethrin, rotenone, or neem oil are eco friendly and generally tender on plants. Look for the organic section in your local garden center for pesticide options. Green Light is one brand name; Bioneem is another, but I'm sure you'll find lots of brand names on the shelf. I'd apply the product in the late evening rather than in the heat of the day. This should keep the leaves from burning. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "