Help I have curled and rippled leaves! - Knowledgebase Question

Eatonton, Ge
Question by youthpastorc
This year I am seeing on my green beans, river birch tree, and my witch hazel curled and rippled distorted leaves. What is causing this? The river birch also has black on it's leaves which I suppose is a mold. What can I do to prevent this from happening. I'd like an organic remedy for my green beans. Thanks. Clark (living in GA came from AZ)

0

The most common cause of distored leaves is feeding by aphids. Sometimes they are hard to detect because they are on the undersides of the leaves and sometimes they feed on the leaf buds before the leaves unfurl. When they do, the leaves come out looking distorted and curled. Black on the leaves of your river birch might be sooty mold. When aphids feed they excrete a sticky substance called honeydew. When this sticky liquid dries and ages, it turns black. It's unattractive, but it won't hurt your plants and will eventually rinse off with rainwater. An organic control for aphids is insecticidal soap. You may not be able to spray your trees with it, but you can control aphids on your green beans with it. Or, you can simply direct a strong stream of water on the leaves to dislodge the insect pests. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"