How do I obtain seeds from vegetables? - Knowledgebase Question

Watertown, Co
Question by holycrosskid
When I grow vegetables in my garden, I would like to have seeds for next year, however some seeds seem un-obtainable, like carrots, lettuce, corn, etc. Any help?

Corn is easy! Just let the last two or three ears remain on the stalk until they dry completely. Then unhusk and wring the ear with your hands. The seeds should pop right out. Carrots and lettuces are a little more difficult. You need to leave them in the ground way past maturity. They will send up flowers and the flowers will develop seeds. When the seeds are dry you can collect them. To store your seeds for next year, make sure they are dry then place them in an airtight container and sotre them in a cool, dark place. Don't forget to label them before storing! Best wishes with your venture!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"