Weeds in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Alexander City, Al
Question by lpain
what is the most effective way to ri my lawn of ground ivy without killing my lawn? Ortho products do not work!

0

Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) can be a real pest. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to the weeds. The boron doesn't affect turfgrass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply when the weather is warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results.

Or you can try a chemical control A postemergence broadleaf weed killer containing dicamba (often found mixed with other weed killers, 2,4-D and mecoprop or MCPP in combination products such as Trimec, Three Way Lawn Weed Killer, etc.) A second application later in the season according to label direction can provide additional control. A final suggestion is Weed B Gone Max. Ortho's Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for Lawns applied in the fall (mid-September through early November) generally provides the best control of ground ivy. Two applications are usually necessary. The second application should be 14 days after the first. As always, when using pesticides, read and follow label directions carefully.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"