Bug free garden - Knowledgebase Question

Keyport, Ne
Question by MachatP
How can I keep my veg. garden from getting bugs?

0

In most gardens there's a balance of beneficial insects and destructive insects. Once a population of bad guys gets established, a crew of good guys usually shows up. If you're growing organically, you'll probably want the insects to battle it out, with the good guys gaining control. You can encourage beneficials by having something in bloom at all times, and by avoiding the use of pesticides (which will kill good guys as well as bad guys). Even organic (botanically derived) pesticides can harm beneficial insects and should be used only as a last resort. Most pesticides are pest specific, so it's important to positively identify the destructive insects and use a product that targets them and them alone. Some pesticides considered safe in vegetable gardens include Rotenone (Rotenone Garden Dust by Bonide) or Bioneem.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"