Vegetable feeding - Knowledgebase Question

East Sandwich, Ma
Question by bertb00
My Burpee soil test shows very low levels of Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosporus. How do I enrich my soil to grow better tomatoes and beans and cucumbers?

Compost, aged manure, or just about any organic material can be used to amend the soil in your veggie bed and bump up the NPK. If the steer manure and chicken manure have been processed and packaged, they are safe to use, as well. Avoid fresh manure - it will contain weed seeds, and fresh chicken manure can be too hot (full of urea) to be of any use. Just spread 3-4 inches of organic matter over the soil and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then plant your veggies. You can sidedress them with a 10-10-10 fertilizer in mid-summer, after the plants have begun to grow. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"