Floppy Hydranga - Knowledgebase Question

Rome, Ge
Question by eleanorquig
Last fall I pruned back my overgrown hydranga to about 2' tall branches. This spring it grew nice leaves and branches, which seem to be too thin to support the hydranga blossoms, which are all flopping on the ground. What can I do?

0

The flowers can get heavy and rain can make them even heavier so I'd suggest pruning off the flowers along with the stems and using them indoors in a vase. It's early enough in the season that your hydrangea may grow new stems and flowers. By the time they do, the stems will have had a chance to mature and become more rigid. Weather is really what prompts new growth but too much fertilizer can cause weak, rapid growth. That's why it is best not to feed your hydrangea until after it has produced flowers.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"