Transplanted hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

RVC, Ne
Question by erboylan
I transplanted hydrangeas 3 days ago, and they wilted. Are they in shock or dead? How long should I wait to determine if they will rebound?

0

Landscape trees and shrubs can suffer transplant shock. Wilting is just one of the symptoms but as soon as the roots establish themselves the plants will perk up and begin growing. Give your new hydrangeas 2-3 weeks to recover. Hydrangeas grow best with morning sun but shade from hot afternoon sunshine. In afternoon sun they tend to wilt but they recover overnight and look fine the next day. If you planted yours where they will have protection from the afternoon sun, they should overcome their transplant stress in a couple of weeks. Best wishes with your new hydrangeas!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"