Corn - Knowledgebase Question

jacksonville, Fl
Question by lilchloee
I planted corn this year in my garden. The corn is doing well. The silk on a few of the ears have turned brown; however, the corn is still white. My question is: Why is the corn still white and what is the length of time when the corn turns yellow?

0

Once the silks turn brown you know the corn has been pollinated and is going through the process of ripening. The silks should be very brown and dried out before you harvest the corn. You can determine when corn is ready to harvest by gently peeling back the husk to check the kernals. When they are ripe they will squirt a milky substance when you push down with your thumbnail. If they are not ripe, the kernal will not be plump and will not squirt a milky substance. Some corn stays white; others turn yellow so color is not a good indication of ripeness. Just keep checking the corn every week or so. Eventually the ears will ripen and you can harvest.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"