Bamboo invasion situation - Knowledgebase Question

pensacola, Fl
Question by poncey21
Hello,

Few years ago I planted 10 bamboo trees in my backyard. Now my yeard is invaded by the tree. Could you please let me know the best way if any to get the trees out of my yard for good. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Joel

0

Bamboo is basically a giant grass, so you can visualize how it spreads through roots and rhizomes. Not all bamboos are invasive, but the running types of bamboo have root masses that travel 3'-4' deep, and spread 15'-20'. You can starve the roots by keeping the tops continually cut down. If you're persistent the plants will eventually run out of energy to produce new canes because there's no above-ground photosynthesis taking place. Digging the roots is the only sure-fire way of eradicating bamboo. You might be able to speed the process by covering the soil with black plastic after cutting down the tops of the plants. If the area gets a lot of direct sunshine, the ground will heat up, basically killing the roots. Leave the plastic on for 4 to 6 weeks in the midst of summer heat and sun. Chemical herbicides are least effective; they may kill the tops of the plants but the roots are hardy and will send out new shoots. Wish there were an easier way to control bamboo!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"