Yellow squash wilting - Knowledgebase Question

Anderson, So
Question by praeuber1
My yellow crookneck suash grew well and produced flowers and little squash but now the squash are rotting and the leaves are wilting. I had the same problem last year with them and zuchinni. The zuchinni are doing fine this year but the yellow squash is doing a repeat of last year. Can you tell me what is causing this?

A few possibilities come to mind. If the baby squash are just emerging, it could be that the female blossoms weren't pollinated. This sometimes happens early in the season, before the male blossoms appear. It can also happen during cool spells when pollinators are less active. However, it sounds as if the problem is most likely fungal or bacterial disease attacking fruit. The wet scar formed when the flower detaches from the fruit is a prime site for infection if conditions are right. Cultural techniques like not overwatering, using a drip watering system rather than constant overhead sprinkling (wet plants create a perfect environment for disease), and growing vines on a trellis to improve air circulation all will help significantly. Mulching with a layer of dry organic material, such as straw, can help reduce the problem somewhat but is not a 100% solution to this problem. Try these cultural practices and see if there's improvement. There's still squash-growing time left! Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"