Soil Ph - Knowledgebase Question

Alsip, Il
Question by farmduck1
Got Miracle grow potting soil Ph meter from home depot and planted my blackberry. Ph reads 7, fertilizer reads barely enough. I imagine miracle grow has plenty fertilizer for 3 months, but I need to lower Ph for blackberries. Does Home Depot carry aluminum or sulfur sulfate or something else to lower Ph? Thanks. Larry.

0

Blackberries will grow in soils with a pH of 5.5 to 6.8 so your 7 (neutral reading) isn't all that far off. There are two problems with using aluminum sulfate - it shouldn't be used on soils near blackberries (Cornell University), and it takes quite a while to change the soil pH. And, the change you want to make is such a small one, that you can achieve the same results by mixing some peat moss into the soil either prior to planting or by simply digging it in around the base of the plant. I agree, Miracle Gro will supply plenty of NPK for 3 months. Peat moss is a lot less expensive than sulfur so why not give it a try?

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "