What is damaging my ligularia's? - Knowledgebase Question

Champaign, Il
Question by cmaclough
I recently bought and planted 3 ligularia plants. One of them quickly began getting holes all over the leaves which has continued to worsen over time. After a week or so, the other two ligularia's also began getting holes in their leaves. I have not noticed any bugs on or around the plants. Any ideas what could be causing this? More importantly how can I stop it?

Beetles, caterpillars, snails and slugs can all feed on ligularia leaves. If you've inspected the plants and cannot find beetles or caterpillars, my guess is snails and slugs. Look for shiny trails on or around your plants. If you find them, use a bait such as Sluggo to control the pests. Sluggo is iron based, is harmless to people, pets and wildlife, and very effective in controlling slugs and snails. Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"