Moving rose bush - Knowledgebase Question

Buffalo, Ne
Question by autumnjoy36
I want to move rose bushes that are too close to house - branch actually indented drywall!; when is the best time and how should I do it? Thanks

0

You will stress your plants much less if you move them in the winter while they are dormant. At that time you can cut them down to a more manageable size and dig them up without worrying too much about cutting back the root system. If you move them while they are actively growing they will suffer some transplant shock but they should survive the move. Start by cutting everything back so you can easily handle the shrub, then dig down, expecting to find the majority of the roots in the top 18-24 inches of soil and radiating out at least as far as the longest canes. Try not to sever any of the large roots when you dig. Be sure to water your rose bush well after the move. Once the roots establish themselves you'll see new growth. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"