calla lillies - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
Hi,
I have calla lillies. They are in pots , in semi-shade on my porch.
They are getting yellow leaves. Are they too wet? too dry? or what is happening?
Please help. Thanks, Dorian

0

Yellowing leaves are caused by a range of things. Poor watering practices - too much or too little. Poor feeding - usually not enough. Poor light levels - too much shade. Too high pot temperatures. At this time of year, it's a stress related thing.

For example, if you water heavily one week and then let the plant dry out too much the second, it will respond by dropping some leaves to reduce it's transpiration (sweating) amount of water loss. So variations in watering are one of the big yellow-leaf factors right now.

If the plant isn't being fed enough, it will shed the bottom leaves that consume more food than they produce to replace them with the top leaves and keep the plant growing and alive with new growth.

Bottom line - stress of some kind is the problme.

Most Calla Lilies need a rest period after flowering, so at the end of the summer season gradually withhold water until the leaves die back and let plants rest for 2 to 3 months before resuming watering to encourage new growth.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"