4 different plants from bulbs- care after blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
My Dutch Irises, daffodils, lilies and muscari have bloomed and died. I've pinched off the dead flowers but now I'm not sure how to take care of the rest of the plant. When do I cut the foliage? All of these are in pots. Can I leave them in pots for next year? If I have to put them in the ground and don't know yet where I will put them, how do I take care of the bulbs once I've dug them up?

0

You can cut off the flowering stems now and then wait for the leaves to turn yellow. Once the leaves have died down, cut them off and store the pots in a cool, dark area. You don't need to take them out of the pots just yet. In September you'll need to take the bulbs out of the pots, brush off the potting soil, place the bulbs in a paper bag and store them in your refrigerator. Your bulbs will need 14-16 weeks of cold treatment before they can be planted out in your garden. About mid-December plant them back in the pots or out in the garden. They will grow roots and then flower right on schedule in the spring. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"