Where to plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by chanarivkawe
We got a red maple from our neighborhood assoc. & I don't know where to plant it. We have NO trees on our property, 50 x 70 ft. back yard (electrical wires along back of property) and a 30 ft. front yard. House faces northeast. What should we plant where? We have no shade but I'm worried about tree sizes, thanks!

0

There are lots of cultivars of red maple trees; some are large, growing 40-60' tall and 25-45 feet wide and others remain only 25 feet tall and 20' tall. Since your neightborhood association supplied the trees we can only hope they chose one of the smaller types such as October Brilliance. You can prune maples to keep them smaller than their ultimate potential in terms of size, but you'll want to plant yours far enough from the house that they won't cause problems in the future. Track the sunshine and try to plant yours where it will produce shade in the part of the yard you'd most like to have shade. The back yard sounds like the largest so why not plant it midway between the house and the property line, on the west or south side? This will provide some shade in the summertime. You might want to check to see where your neighbors are planting their trees, too. That may give you some more ideas. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"