Why is Calibrachoa dying? - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by PWebb3
I bought 20 Calibrachoa on 4/1. Half are planted in partial shade, morning sun. Half are in full sun. I water every 2 days. Fertilize every 2 wks. Most of the ones dying are close to oak tree. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds as though the roots of the oak tree are competing with the roots of your calibrachoa for moisture and nutrients. Even though you water regularly, the roots of the oak are more efficient at sucking up all the moisture, leaving your calibrachoa on the dry side. There's not much you can do to change the nature of the oak tree roots. You may need to move your calibarchoa away from the tree's roots, or plant them in containers where the tree roots cannot compete with the roots of the plants. Wish there were an easier solution!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"