Magnolia tree - Knowledgebase Question

Nashville, Te
Question by Vandyville16
I have an older magnolia that's in my front yard.One of the limbs is growing into a holly tree.I don't know what variety of magnolia it is but it has three branches coming from above the base. Would it be save to cut the one branch back or off,without harming the tree? Thank you for your suggestions and help!

I don't think you'll cause harm to your magnolia if you remove the branch that's growing into the holly. Actually, the branch will cause more harm than good if you don't prune it! The general rule of pruning is not to remove more than one third of the live material in any one pruning session. Since your magnolia is multi-stemmed, you can remove one without harming your tree. Cut it off completely back to the point where it originates, and make a clean cut at a 45 degree angle so water doesn't collect at the pruning site. The wound will heal over this summer. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"