Newly planted River Birch Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Glastonbury, Co
Question by stellaemman
I planted a River Birch Tree and within a few days the leaves turned brown (only a few leaves are green on the tippity top). I scatched the bark and the tree is still alive. Should I wait until fall to see if it will live? I am thinking it got shocked when I planted it. And, do I have to water for hours for a couple of weeks after planting? Thank you for your advice.

0

I think you've diagnosed the problem - transplant stress. Your River Birch should recover, as long as you give it some TLC this summer. You don't need to water for hours, but you should water once or twice a week this summer. The easiest way to water landscape trees and shrubs is to make a watering well or watering basin beneath it. Fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Once a week should do it; twic a week if your soil drains really well and the weather is hot. Watering this way concentrates the moisture directly over the root mass and allows it to trickle down and wet the entire root system. Give your new tree until this fall to perk up. I think it will.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "