tilling and seeding - Knowledgebase Question

hutto, Te
Question by charleskrenz
I want to till my backyard and seed it. I live in Austin. When would it be too late? Also are there any benefits to (after tilling) putting down compost, starter fertilizer, and seed, then tilling it all together to get a deep mix in the soil. I would then use a roller to compact and even out the soil. Thanks a bunch.

0

You can seed your lawn now if you're careful to keep the seedbed moist so the seeds can germinate. This will require watering several times a day when the weather is hot. There are benefits to tilling in compost and starter fertilizer, but don't spread the seeds and till them in. They need to be on the soil surface because they need light to germinate. So, spread the compost and starter fertilizer, till it in, then level the area, broadcast the seeds, lightly cover with a thin layer of peatmoss to help keep them moist. Be sure to water often enough to keep the seeds from drying out. They should sprout in 7-10 days. Best wishes with your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"