Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Pikesville, Ma
Question by shirleyrowl
I recently planted blue hydrangeas in my yard, which gets loads of sun. It was beautiful in the beginning, but has turned brown, I'm sure from the sun. What should I do? Te area is well mulched. I'm sure more frequent watering would help, but I'm not home during the day and by the time I get home it's alreay burnt. Also, should I cut-off the brown ones? I'm afraid nothing will be left.

Hydrangeas grow and flower best when they have some shelter from hot afternoon sunshine. Try to find a spot in your garden that gets morning sun, but is protected from afternoon sunshine. Your hydrangeas should recover once they've been removed from their hot, sunny spots. If you leave them where they are, I don't think they'll thrive.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"