Can I trim juniper? - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by PWebb3
I bought 5 junipers. The kind the spread out on the ground. 2 of them are in full sun. The inside circle is dead but the end of the branches have new green growth. If I trim off the dead pieces will new growth grow on the stem? I water every 2 days. Is that not enough water? I have been fertilizing with miracle grow every 2 weeks.

0

Spreading or creeping junipers usually respond well to pruning. Cut back the tips of the branches and new growth should be forced at the center of the plant. Junipers are reasonably drought tolerant and too much water can cause root rot. You may actually be watering too much if you are watering every two days. I'd cut back on the watering - one deep soaking per week should be sufficient; two waterings per week when the weather is really hot. Give the tip pruning a try and watch to see where the new growth emerges. This will give you some idea of how you can help your plants develop new foliage in the bare centers. Best wishes with your junipers.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "