Pruning spiral evergreen - Knowledgebase Question

norfolk, Vi
Question by pallen2006
We have two evergreen shrubs that were purchased (from HD of course) with the spiral shape (some portions trimmed down to the trunk). They are growing well, but I'm losing the spiral a bit. Is it okay to prune/trim them back now, or do I need to wait until off-season (winter?) to do so? I'd like to maintain the spiral shape, but don't want to hinder the growth. thanks!

0

In order to maintain the spriral pattern you can completely trim out anything that has grown in the formerly bare areas. It's much easier to simply rub out anything that sprouts along the bare trunk than to wait until it has grown out several inches. So once you finished pruning it back, just watch the plant and rub out anything that sprouts where you don't want it to sprout. You can also reduce the length of the rest of the branches by shearing or pruning back individual stems. You can prune in the spring or summer withough harm. Just prune lightly, though, and don't take off more than about a third of the growth. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"