diseased azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

Ocean Springs, MS
Question by robinall1013
How do I treat diseased azaleas that have big dead spots. I have had some success in prunning the dead spots out, but the erea effected now is facing the road and I want to know if there is a spray that I can use to keep from mutilating the bush.

There's no getting around pruning out the dead parts of your azalea. If you leave them alone, no new growth will appear on that part of the shrub. Azaleas are susceptible to fungal diseases and root rot. Fungus will affect the foliage but won't usually kill back the branches. If the branches are completely dead I'd suspect a root rot rather than a topical disease. I'd go ahead and prune the plants to remove the dead parts and then use a fungicide to protect it from developing a fungal disease. If after apply a fungicide the plant is still producing dead stems, a root rot is the cause. Good luck with your azaleas.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"