info on Elephant Ears. - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
Hi,
I have Elephant Ears in pots in my garden.
They aren't doing anything. When can I expect some sprouts?
Do they always come up so late ?
Thanks so much for all your help. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT THIS HELP FROM A GARDENING EXPERT!!!

Have a good day... Dorian

0

I've found that elephant ears can be slow to come out of dormancy but I would think yours should be up by now. I'd be curious enough to unpot one and check on it. Even if it doesn't have sprouts, it should have started to develop roots by now. If not, they may not have survived the winter and you may need to replace them. If you want to get a jump on the growing season, you can start elephant ears indoors up to 8 weeks before the last frost in your area. Depending on how they were stored it sometimes takes them a while to come out of dormancy. If growing them in pots use a rich organic potting soil. Plant the corms blunt end down, beneath 2 inches of soil. I hope yours are on the verge of sprouting for you!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"