grass blades turning yellow from bottom - Knowledgebase Question

Iselin, Ne
Question by dhrutiasha
Few area in my lawn the grass blades are yellow from bottom and green from the top. Why does this happen and how can i get greener lawn. Everytime i mow the lawn the grasses seem more yellow than green. Do i need to use fertilizer? if yes then which one should i use? I live in NJ..

0

Sounds like feeding is in order but you'll also want to monitor your watering practices. If the lawn is getting too much water, the roots can suffocate and the blades will begin to turn yellow, starting at the bottom of the blade and working its way up. If you don't think you're watering too much it might be there's a build up of thatch on the soil surface or the soil is compacted and needs to be aerated. Dethatching and/or aerating are best done in the early fall months. You can feed your lawn with a Turf Builder. Since the weather is getting hot, be sure to water your lawn prior to application, apply at the correct rate as listed on the package, and water thoroughly after application to move the product down to the soil level. If you don't water, the fertilizer will burn the blades of the grass. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"