Roots of my flowering pear tree - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by lndmum
I have an 8yr old flowering pear tree whose roots are growing over the lawn and are coming too close to the house. Is there any way to stop this? It's a beautiful tree and we don't want to get rid of it. Is there any way to save our tree? Thanks.

0

You can stop the roots from invading your foundation by cutting them cleanly a few feet from the house. Just use a sharp shovel and cut straight down. If the roots are too large for that, you may need to excavate the area and cut them with a tree saw. There's really no way to keep the roots from growing in the direction of your house. As a rule the roots will extend out one and a half times the diameter of the canopy of a tree. Some root pruning is okay but you won't be able to prune all the roots or you'll compromise the health of the tree. Just cut back those that pose a threat to the foundation of your house. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"