Roots of my flowering pear tree - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by lndmum
I have an 8yr old flowering pear tree whose roots are growing over the lawn and are coming too close to the house. Is there any way to stop this? It's a beautiful tree and we don't want to get rid of it. Is there any way to save our tree? Thanks.

You can stop the roots from invading your foundation by cutting them cleanly a few feet from the house. Just use a sharp shovel and cut straight down. If the roots are too large for that, you may need to excavate the area and cut them with a tree saw. There's really no way to keep the roots from growing in the direction of your house. As a rule the roots will extend out one and a half times the diameter of the canopy of a tree. Some root pruning is okay but you won't be able to prune all the roots or you'll compromise the health of the tree. Just cut back those that pose a threat to the foundation of your house. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"