Persian Lime tree - Knowledgebase Question

Miami, Fl
Question by mruiz271
I bought a persian lime tree from home depot and planted it about 3 weeks ago. The leaves are now curling up. It is planted in full sun and it has been raining every day. I also put a fertilizer stick in the ground two feet away from the tree as recommended. What could the problem be?

I suspect you're seeing the effects of a little transplant stress coupled with lots of water. There are tree common conditions that cause leaf curling in citrus trees:

1. Some insect pests will cause some leaf curl. In spring, aphids might do this on soft new leaves. Look inside the curl for presence of insects. If none are present, consider 2 or 3 below.

2. Overwatering can cause leaves to curl or cup INWARD. Also, stress from very hot weather will do it.

3. Sometimes leaves will cup DOWNWARD in the late fall or early winter. This is not a problem to worry about, as the new growth will come out with normal shaped leaves in the spring and the trees seem to produce flowers and fruit in proliferation once established.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"