praying manthis - Knowledgebase Question

northridge, Ca
Question by dwfinancial1
Will praying manthis also get affected by BBQ SMOKE? My backyard is not big enough to bbq somewhere else. If none of the good insects can survive on BBQ Smoke, then will the smoke also kill all the harmful insects in my garden? Thanks for your answer. :-)

0

I think the praying mantids and the lady bugs will simply move out of the way (if they are able) when you BBQ. Most insects will find a protected place until the smoke clears and then go back to what they were doing before you started up the BBQ. When you first asked, I thought that you were doing an experiment with ladybugs and intentionally holding them in the smoke from the BBQ. But now that you've explained things a little more thoroughly, I understand your concern about harming these beneficial insects. As long as they can freely move about your garden they will avoid the smoke when it's there and then go back to the area when the smoke clears. Same goes for both beneficial and destructive insects.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "