White Spots on Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Keyport, Ne
Question by MachatP
I bought two rose bushes 3 weeks ago. I noticed last week that one of the bushes has white spots on the leaves. Now the so does the other one. What can I Do? also my bushes are in pots. Should I bring them in for the winter?

What you describe sounds like the fungal disease powdery mildew. Roses are more susceptible to the disease if they are not getting all day sunshine or if they are overcrowded and air circulation is poor. A fungicide will help. Some choices include Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Rose Defense, or Bravo. You'll find others in the garden section of your local Home Depot. Your roses can go indoors in the winter months or you can sink the pots into the ground to help protect the roots from freezing. I'd keep them outdoors, sink the pots in the ground and set rose cones over the top to help protect them this winter. This way they can go through their natural winter dormancy or resting period and emerge strong and ready to grow and flower for you in the spring. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"