shoots from trees - Knowledgebase Question

Show Low, Ar
Question by humdingers
We have shoots or runners
coming up in our yard at
the base of the trees. We
cut them but they come back. Is there anything we
can do about this problem
We can't cut the trees down some of them are Oak.

Thanks

0

Some trees just naturally produce copious numbers of suckers. Other than pulling or cutting them off, there's not much else you can do to control them. The suckers are attached to the roots of the trees - anything you apply to kill the suckers will work its way back to your plum trees and cause damage or even death. If you pull rather than cut the suckers at the base of your trees you'll have fewer new suckers sprouting. As for those appearing from underground roots, the best defense is to dig down and cut them off. There is a product on the market called Sucker Stopper. I've never used it so I can't vouch for it, but in your case it might be worth a try. The product claims to stop the suckering without harming the roots of the tree. If you decide to give this a try, be sure to read and apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"