Indoor fern - Knowledgebase Question

El Cajon, Ca
Question by ibezdechi
I have an indoor fern which lately has not been feeling well at all. It used to produce a lot of long leaves, now it is down to one leave. What should I do? It has not been repotted or given new soil in 20 years. Could this be the problem?

Should I bring the fern to be evaluated by an HD master gardener?

A 20 year old fern may be reaching the end of its life expectancy. You might be able to rejuvenate it by unpotting, doing a little root pruning and repotting in fresh potting soil. You can simply slice through about an inch of the rootmass from top to bottom, all around the sides of the rootball and then take an inch off the bottom, as well. Then repot in fresh potting soil. The root pruning should prompt new growth - both healthy new roots and some new fronds, too. Hope this works some magic on your fern!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"