lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

Reading, Pe
Question by fester2036
Part of my lawn has moss where a tree use to be and the other part is starting to get brown. What do I do and use?

You can rake out the moss and overseed the area. Now that the tree is gone, more sunlight will reach your turf. Moss growth indicates too much shade but also indicates compacted and acidic soil conditions. You can apply lime to the soil this fall to help neutralize the soil's pH. If you're still having problems with moss developing next spring you may want to aerate your lawn to improve the compaction and help it drain more quickly. Browning turf can indicate a need for water or it may be that you are growing cool season grasses which naturally brown out when the weather warms up. You may want to take a sample of the turf to your local extension office for positive diagnosis. Contact Penn State University, Berks County Cooperative Extension, 501 Crescent Avenue, Reading, PA 19605-3050 phone (610) 378-1327. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"