did I kill my soil - Knowledgebase Question

Somerset, Ca
Question by sosantasboy
help I have a garden plot made of pure clay it is 100feet by 30 feet
i put 2 50 pound bags of contracter lime and 30 bags of earthgrow manure and 10 bags of soil amender from home depot
is the lime burning my plants and can I do anything to save this soil

0

The general advice is to add 5 to 10 lb lime per 100 square feet to change the soil pH. You have a 300 square foot garden so 30 pounds of lime is about the maximum you should apply at any one time. You've applied three times that amount which will really put your soil's pH out of whack, and yes, it can burn your plants. I'm not sure what is in the soil amender you applied. Hopefully it is only organic matter and does not contain lime or other chemicals. I'm afraid at this point your best course of action is to take some soil samples and have them tested. The test results will come back with suggestions for correcting any imbalance in the soil. The University of California cooperative extension no longer offers soil testing services but they recommend: Soil Testing Service, 11353 Pyrites Way, Rancho Cordova, CA - (916) 635-7390. There's a $15 dollar charge for a basic soil test. Once you've had your soil tested you can take action to remedy the situation.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "