Vines for Trellis - Knowledgebase Question

Hollidaysburg, PA
Question by JDW670
December 30, 1998
Recieved your 1999 catalogue today.Thank you.

Last summer I built two trellises from plans in "Better Homes and Garden" magazine.They are seven feet high by two feet wide and are placed eighteen inches apart.I would like to grow some vines on them that would bloom this summer '99 but am also interested in permanent/long term vines.

December 30, 1998

0

Your trellises sound lovely. For a sunny spot you might try some of the smaller annual vines such as morning glories, nasturtiums, or perhaps cardinal climber which has a fine texture. For part shade, asarina is lovely.

Since the trellises are rather small, in my experience the best perennial vines to consider would include the smaller clematis vines which will do well in sun or part shade and come in a wide variety of colors.

Good luck with your project!