hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Kennesaw, Ge
Question by greenekj
My hydrangeas are having a hard time holding up the blooms and, also, some of the leaves on the plant look like they're puckered up. Any solutions?

0

I'm afraid what you describe is pretty normal for a hydrangea. The flowers can become so large and heavy that rainfall or overhead watering can make them weigh so much that they flop over. One way to alleviate this flopping is to prune early in the season, just as the buds begin to swell on the stems. Cut the stems to a height of 18 to 24 inches to provide a sturdy framework to support the new growth. Each new stem will develop a flower and the stem should be short enough and sturdy enough to hold that bloom upright. Distorted leaves are sometimes due to rapid growth and sometimes caused by insect feeding as the leaf is developing. Just pull off the leaf if you find it unattractive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "