Raspberries and Grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Carnegie, Pe
Question by rcfaulknerjr
We planted raspberry bushes and grape vines 3 years ago. This is the first year our grapes seem to be producing fruit. Is there anything special we need to do to produce great grapes? Also, our raspberry bushes are doing awful. They are growing like wild weeds, producing terrible fruit, which falls apart when harvested. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

0

Congratulations with your future grape harvest! For the sweetest grapes, simply thin out the bunches, removing every third bunch that is developing. I know it seems harsh, but the fewer grape bunches your grapevines have to mature, the larger and sweeter the fruit will be.

Raspberries can be bothered by all kinds of insects and diseases including nematodes and related root problems. Crumbly berry symptoms may be caused by raspberry bushy dwarf virus, poor pollination, nutrient deficiency or genetic problems. So while I can't diagnose the problem long distance, there are resources out to to help you figure out the problem. The following website has the best photos of the various insect and disease problems with raspberries: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/en...

I hope you find it helpful and I hope you can determine just what might be wrong with your raspberry plants.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"