Root Removal - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, Wi
Question by wolfs1028
I have been digging up this particular bush for years. It always return because of its deep & entensive roots. Is it possible to eliminate the roots in an ecologically correct way? I don't know the bushes ID.

0

The most eco friendly way is what you're already doing - cutting back anything that sprouts from the roots. If you do this consistently, before the new sprouts can develop leaves, the roots will eventually run out of energy to produce new shoots. It's time consuming and labor intensive, but it does work. There are herbicides on the market that can help kill off the roots. Round Up is one such product. If you clip off the suckers and immediately paint Round Up on the stubs, the product will travel down to the roots and kill off the portion it touches. Round Up does not move in the soil but remains in the plant tissue until it biodegrades. It might be an option for you. Best wishes with your eradication project.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "