Cross pollination of Blueberry plants - Knowledgebase Question

Decatur, Ge
Question by wingetpd
I just stopped by my local home depot to pick up a few blueberry bushes. I had read beforehand that I had to make sure I bought more than one species/variety to allow for cross pollination, and sure enough the tag on the plants at the store said the same thing. The only problem was that there was no information on the plants about what species they were etc, so I did not buy any. Can you help?

0

Sounds like you've done your homework and you are exactly right - blueberries produce larger crops if they are cross pollinated. Without identifying tags, though, it's difficult to choose two different cultivars. The good new is that rabbit-eye blueberries grow best in Georgia and these are somewhat self-fertile. So, if you really want to grow blueberries, you can choose two of the healthiest blueberry shrubs and plant them in your garden. With any luck they will cross pollinate but even if they don't, rabbit-eye blueberries will still set a nice crop each year.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"