Zucchini - Knowledgebase Question

Jupiter, Fl
Question by scalosians
My zucchini (in a large pot) was doing great but now the leaves are turning brown/yellow and seem to be chewed. Only two zucchini, the last one was fine and then turned to mush; it had holes in it but I don't see any bugs except an occasional beetle-looking thing! I spray with organic bug spray but it doesn't seem to help. Is it bugs or something else?

The yellow/brown leaves can indicate sunscald, water stress, a fungal disease or a reaction to something you've sprayed on them. An insecticide with an oily base can damage the leaves of your zucchini plant. Without being able to see the leaves, I can't positively diagnose the leaf problem. Summer squash that turns mushy (bacterial soft rot) may have been physically damaged by insects or sunscald. Sometimes insects move in to attack the squash after it has started rotting so we can't really blame the beetles - they may be secondary. As long as you're not seeing any insect activity or signs of fungus, I can only suggest you keep monitoring your plant and keeping it well watered. If you see insects, hand pick them or hose them off your plant. It's early in the season for summer squash so you'll undoubtedly get new flowers and new squash. Best wishes with your zucchini!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"