Tomato Plant longevity - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by bbskaiser
How long should we expect to get tomatoes on our plants? They are really looking burned up even though we continue to water them daily or every other day.

0

It's getting a little hot for your tomato plants. Generally they can be planted in late February or March and will produce fruit until about mid-June. After that they suffer from the heat and intense sunshine and will stop producing. You can replant in September and harvest in December. If your plants have stopped flowering (which they can do when temperatures are above 90F), you may want to pull them up and remove them from the garden. I've managed to keep tomato plants growing during the summer months by giving them morning sun and shade from the hot afternoon sunshine. If you have a spot like that in your garden you can plant tomatoes there. I keep mine in containers and manage to keep tomato plants growing nearly all year around by moving them into morning shade in the summertime and full sun in the spring and fall. Just a thought!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"