Vines on Oak tree roots - Knowledgebase Question

Baton Rouge, Lo
Question by tbabyemt
I have a beautiful old Oak tree that is beginning to die. There are a lot of exposed roots and seem to be covered in vines. It is too hard to pull all of the vines out and I want to make sure they don't come back. Is there anything I can spray directly on the roots without further harming the tree? Is it possible to save the tree? Also Monkey Grass was planted in a ring around the tree is that bad

0

I'm afraid that anything you use to kill the vines will also affect the roots of your oak. I'd just continue to whack the vines back as they sprout rather than to use a vegetation killer on them. Sorry there's no other way to remove the vines without harming your oak tree. Monkey grass won't be a problem for the oak tree.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"