Aphids - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by kwei813
My jalapeno pepper plant has these tiny light yellow colored bugs all over the leaves. I tried googling it and it seems they may be Aphids? What's the best way to handle them. I moved my plant outdoors as well, as I didn't want bugs in my home. Hopefully this doesn't shock the jalapeno plant. Can it handle some winds from my balcony? I live in a high rise so it gets a breeze.

Aphids tend to cluster on the new growth and since they are soft bodied insects they are easy to control either by spraying them off with a strong stream of plain water or by applying Insecticidal Soap. Since insecticidal soap contains fatty acids it can burn tender leaves so you might want to spray in the morning before the sun shines on the leaves and then rinse the product off with plain water. Insecticidal soap kills on contact so it will efficiently control the aphids even if you rinse it off right away. Your plant may suffer some shock if you put it out in direct sunshine. Help it adjust to being outdoors by setting it in the shade and gradually moving it into a sunnier spot. Best wishes with your pepper plant.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"