weeding - Knowledgebase Question

Wisconsin Rapids, Wi
Question by cbombspec
I am a beginner gardener. I have planted mostly perennials, and some annuals. My quesstion is about weeds, what products can I use on my beds without killing my existing plants and flowers, and how do I prepare my beds in the fall and spring to keep weeds down?

There are a couple of weed killers available that will take care of grassy weeds in your flower beds. (Fertilome Over the Top, for instance) If you have broadleaf weeds, it will be safer to pull them out than to try to use a broadleaf weed killer near your annuals and perennials. Once you have all the weeds out you can use a pre emergent such as Preen.

A 3 inch layer of organic matter will help keep weeds out of your flower beds so once you've gotten rid of the weeds, try spreading some compost over the bare soil. You can do this next spring, too, before weeds begin to sprout. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"