Landscape Fabric - Knowledgebase Question

Chesterfield, Vi
Question by anike_mckoy
I plan on laying down some landscape fabric in my garden to keep the weeds at bay. I want to plant day lilies and I hear they spread. Would landscape fabric keep new day lilies from growing from the ground? Is there something I should do to the fabric around the lilies?

0

Good question! I'm glad you're planning ahead. Yes, daylilies do increase in girth as they age. The easiest approach is to cut a generous hole when you plant the daylily and then as the clump enlarges just make four straight slits (behind, in front and on each side of the clump) and fold the fabric back under itself. When it's time to dig and divide your daylily you can replant a smaller division and unfold the weed block fabric so the hole for new division is smaller. Hope this makes sense! Best wishes with your daylilies.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"