Peat Moss in Veg Garden? - Knowledgebase Question

SHIRLEY, Ne
Question by kay474
O wanted to lay red mulch in garden to stop weeds. It is a veg. garden. My husb. was told cover everything with peat moss I think fungus and mold will gow? What is peat moss for in an existing growing veg. garden thank you! Kay on LI, NY

0

Peat moss will dry out when useds as a mulch over the soil so fungus shouldn't be a problem. However, peat has small strands that tend to pack together when it dries out which can make watering difficult. If you want to suppress weeds in your garden, compost or straw are better materials. Compost has various shapes and sizes of organic matter so it won't pack together; straw is made of large particles and won't pack together, either. Of all the mulch materials, red mulch is the least desireable. It's not organic so you'll have to rake it out before you can rototill or dig your garden next spring. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"