When to pull Garlic bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Fairport, Ne
Question by elisabeth_fr
We are located in the northeast part of NY.I planted my garlic in the fall, they are now 12

The easiest way to know when to harvest garlic is simply to look at the leaves. When the leaves are 1/3 brown, you will need to start testing the bulbs to see if they are the proper size. This is easy to do. Simply loosen the dirt above one or two garlic bulbs and get an idea of their size while still keeping them in the ground. If they look large enough, then you?re ready to make your garden garlic harvest. If they are still too small, then your garlic will need to grow a bit more.

You don?t want to wait too long though. Once the leaves get to be 1/2 ? 2/3 brown, you should harvest the garlic regardless of size. Putting off harvesting garlic until after the leaves are completely brown will only result in a inedible bulb.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"